I love cooking with quinoa! I also love any type of stuffed pepper and anything with cheese. That makes this recipe a win, win, win in my house. It’s also easy to prepare ahead and bake at a later time if you’re having guests or have a busy day coming.
Quinoa Stuffed Peppers*
1/3 cup quinoa
2/3 cup water
4 green bell peppers
2 tablespoons olive oil (omit if you use beef)
1 pound ground turkey or beef from chuck
1 cup diced onion
1 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
3 tablespoons tomato paste or ketchup
1/4 cup freshly grater Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup water
1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1. Bring the quinoa and water to a boil in a small saucepan. Cover, reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and leave the covered saucepan on the burner for another 6 minutes. Fluff with a fork and set aside to cool.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 13-inch casserole dish or spray with cooking oil.
3. Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Cut peppers in half lengthwise, removing the stems, seeds, and membranes. Place them in the boiling water for 2 minutes, until they are tender-crisp. Remove and drain on a kitchen towel.
4. Place a large frying pan on medium-high heat. Add the oil, turkey, onion, Italian seasoning, and garlic. Sauté until the turkey is cooked and the onion is tender, about 8 minutes. Stir in the quinoa, tomato paste, Parmesan cheese, and water, blending well.
5. Spoon the filling into the pepper halves and place them in the prepared dish. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese evenly over the top of each pepper. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the peppers are tender and the filling is hot. Serve immediately.
* This is a slightly modified version of the recipe “Turkey-Stuffed Mozzarella Peppers” from the book Quinoa 365: The Everyday Superfood.