Now I know what you’re thinking! Didn’t I just say that last week about this brownie recipe? Yes, I did. But let me tell you a secret: that recipe is the same as the chocolate part in this recipe! So they are equally good brownies depending on your flavor for the day: whether you want to have a plain chocolate brownie or a gooier-chewier-cream-cheesy-ness! 🙂
Cream Cheese Brownies*
For the brownies:
1 cup butter, melted
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
3/4 cup cocoa
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped nuts, optional
For the cream cheese part:
1/3 cup sugar
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1. Cream butter and sugar. Add vanilla, eggs, and cocoa, stirring after each addition.
2. Add flour, baking powder, and salt, then mix. Add nuts if using, and mix again. Pour batter into a greased 9 x 13 baking pan.
3. In a separate bowl, mix sugar and cream cheese until no lumps remain (I always use an electric mixer). Stir in egg and vanilla. Pour over brownie batter. Swirl batter with a butter knife several times for a marbled effect. (Tammy has a great picture of this here.)
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until cream cheese is slightly browned.
5. Cool. Store in the fridge. (These brownies are absolutely the BEST when cold, straight from the fridge.)
* This recipe was given to my family years ago by a friend, and my sister Tammy also has it on her website here. ALL of her reviews are 10 out of 10!