Whenever I talk about making eggplant salad, people ask how I make it!
Eggplant salad is something my [Romanian] husband introduced to me while we were dating, and I think it’s the only food he has really taught me how to make! I had never heard of this before dating him. I’d love to hear if any of you guys already knew how to make it and who taught you!
Honestly, this is the only thing I have ever made (so far!) with eggplant. I know there are lots of ways to use eggplant, but I haven’t not yet explored them. (Ideas??)
2 cloves garlic, minced
about 1/4 cup minced onion
about 1/4 teaspoon salt
about 1/3 cup real mayonnaise (not miracle whip!)
1. Lay the eggplants on an ungreased baking sheet or pan and bake for around 30-40 minutes at 375 degrees, until a butter knife slides easily through the center. (The peeling will be tough.)
2. Peel the eggplant. (You may have to let it set a few minutes so it’s not as hot, depending on your tolerance.) I just take a knife to help me tear/cut the skin and pull it lengthwise from top to bottom or bottom to top. When the peeling is off, cut off the end where the stem was.
3. Allow the eggplant to cool either on the counter or in the fridge. It doesn’t have to be completely cooled to make the salad, but I prefer it to be close to room temperature.
4. Put the mayonnaise, garlic, onion, and salt in the blender. Pulse for a few seconds. (My blender isn’t very good so don’t worry: it will be fine whether or not it purees your garlic/onion.)
5. Add the egg plants one at a time and blend. Do not over-blend to avoid it becoming runny. Feel free to adjust the amount of salt to taste.
We usually just eat this salad on bread – preferably a white bread, like French or Italian. I bet it would also be good on a very mild cracker. This salad has a very mild taste, so be sure to not overpower it with what you serve it on.
I honestly did not care for eggplant salad when I first tried it. Now I can’t get enough of it. I think the texture was new to me, and like I said: I’m not all that familiar with eggplant anyway. Bogdan watches me in amazement while I eat this, saying “Didn’t you not used to like this?” 🙂