We are big homemade pizza fans here!
I tried some different toppings this time.
For the sauce, I mixed BBQ sauce half and half with pizza sauce. I am definitely going to make pizza this way again – it was a great balance.
I used olives, mushrooms, onions, and shredded mozzarella cheese as well as cubes of Swiss and New York cheddar cheese.
There are lots of good homemade pizza crust options – from my Homemade Pizza Crust recipe which uses some wheat flour to what I made for these pictures:
Basic Pizza Crust
1 1/2 cups warm water
2 teaspoons dry yeast
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon olive or canola oil
3+ cups all-purpose flour
Makes two 16-inch pizza crusts
1. In a medium mixing bowl, combine warm water, yeast, and sugar. Let sit for 5 minutes.
2. Add oil, salt, and 1 cup flour, mixing well. Gradually add the remaining 2 cups of flour, and then add as needed while kneading dough until it is firm and elastic.
3. Place dough in a warm place to let rise until double. (I like to set mine in the oven to rise: read the directions for that method here!)
4. Divide dough in half and press each section with fingers out onto greased pizza pans. Bake at 500 degrees Fahrenheit for 5 minutes. Remove crusts from the oven and turn heat down to 450 degrees.
5. Put desired toppings on pizza and return to oven for about 15 minutes, or until lightly browned.