It has always confused me that coffee cake doesn’t actually contain coffee. In fact, while it’s fabulous consumed alongside coffee it even stands on its own without coffee! I think that “coffee cake” still has an effective ring to it, even without a whole lot of meaning. 😉
Crumble Coffee Cake
1 1/2 cups flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup white sugar
1/3 cup melted butter
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup butter, room temperature*
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1. For the cake, combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium mixing bowl.
2. In a separate bowl, beat egg with milk, butter, sugar, and vanilla. Combine the wet and dry mixtures and pour batter into a greased and floured 9-inch round cake pan.
3. For topping, combine all ingredients together until a crumbly. Sprinkle over cake batter.
4. Bake at 375 degrees for 20-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
5. Keep in the pan to serve, or remove onto a wire rack to cool. Serve hot or cold!
*If you melt the butter for the topping, it won’t crumble and will be somewhat runny. It could still work, though. 🙂