I’ve shared that picture before, but it still makes my mouth water every time I see it.
I love tacos. I love burritos. I love nachos. That’s all there is to it! However, the price of restaurant tacos can add up quickly while there’s a growing feeling inside you of, “What in the world is even in this meat?” or “Why are these tomatoes rock hard?”
This is not to say that there are not fabulous restaurant tacos, but with those comes a hefty price tag. Homemade tacos are not free or close to free, but they can be delicious, don’t require gas to go to a restaurant, and can be whipped up at the last minute! (And they are still cheaper than restaurant tacos.)
What I normally use for tacos…
– ground beef (leaner – ground chuck)
– taco seasoning (or just chopped onion, garlic powder, and cumin!)
– Hard or soft taco shells, tortilla chips (cheaper!) to make a taco salad, or homemade flour tortillas
– cheese (shredded cheddar is best, but I like colby, mozzarella, or anything else!)
– chopped lettuce
– chopped tomatoes
– sour cream, if I’m feeling like some extra fat 🙂
– sometimes: hot sauce and/or salsa
I’ll miss homegrown tomatoes this winter! Free and delicious!
It doesn’t take me any longer to make tacos than it takes me to make Hamburger Helper! (And I think tacos are a lot more healthful! Think: lettuce, tomatoes, real cheese!)
Tacos can be used as a weight-loss food by turning taco night into taco salad night! Growing up, we usually just had taco salad – all the ingredients of a taco, but on a plate with tortilla chips instead of in shells. Pile on the lettuce and tomato!
Yes, I’m craving another taco night soon. Want to join me?