Linked to Tammy’s Recipes
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 cups white flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
3 tablespoons coconut oil
1 1/2 cups hot water
1. Mix the dry ingredients, and cut in the coconut oil with a fork or wooden spoon. Add the hot water (I heat mine to almost boiling on the stove) and mix until dough forms a ball.
2. Divide the dough into 8 sections for large tortillas, or more sections if you prefer to make them smaller.
3. Flour your surface for rolling out the tortillas. Place one ball of dough on the rolling surface at a time, and flour the top of it as well. Roll out dough in a circle until it’s about as thick as a store-bought tortilla, or just a little thicker. I like to roll out all the tortillas at once before I begin frying them, and I place them between pieces of paper towel on a plate.
4. Heat a greased large cast-iron skillet to medium-high heat. Place one tortilla in at a time, and after it’s slightly browned on one side flip it to the other side and turn heat to low until both sides are slightly browned. I flip the tortillas carefully with my fingers, but you could probably also use a spatula. Another frying option is having one skillet on medium-high and another on low, and simply moving the tortilla from one skillet to the other.
5. After each tortilla is finished, I run water over my hands and run my hands over the tortilla, front and back. Place each tortilla, one on top of the other, between two of the paper towels previously used. (You could also use regular, washable towels for this!) The water equalizes and makes the tortillas more pliable.
Here are some of the reasons I like using/making homemade tortillas!
1. The ingredients are simple, and I know what they are. They’re good for us.
2. You don’t have to remember to get them at the store. You can just whip them up before a meal. Keep in mind: they are best fresh, not leftover.
3. They’re cheaper!
4. When used in enchiladas, they don’t feel “chewy” like store-bought tortillas do. (And they taste better, too!)
And now, a word of caution: don’t check your Facebook or blog while you’re frying tortillas! They might end up like this: