Once again, linking to Tammy’s Recipes.
As I was taking some pictures to go with this week’s Kitchen Tip Tuesdays post, I realized that my kitchen (or entire apartment, maybe?) is not very photogenic. I try to keep it cleaned and organized, but it’s still about a million years old and apparently never renovated. I can’t hide my kitchen forever, though, so here goes.
This week I want to share about using space wisely in the (small) kitchen! I have mentioned this a little before in a post about how I organize my spices.
1. One of my biggest kitchen space-saver ideas (that also looks nice!) is putting away the dish dripper after the dishes are done.
Since my kitchen is so small, I have use a “mini” dripper. It doesn’t hold a lot, so I have to do dishes really often anyway. I keep a small bottle of dish soap that I refill on the sink, as well as hand soap. I probably wouldn’t keep any dish soap out (the rest is under the sink), but it’s really handy for washing greasy hands while cooking. And yes, that big chip was out of my counter before we moved here.
Just a little view of our kitchen – including the epic green stove in all its glory. I do keep some utensils out on my counter because I really just don’t have space for them in a drawer or somewhere else convenient.
2. Find a place to hang a dish towel. This was tricky for me! As you can see in this picture, my towels are hanging on the front of my stove. However, my stove doesn’t really have a place to hang a dish towel. Part of one of my shower gifts before my wedding was a set of two suction-cup soap holders meant for use in the shower. I don’t keep bar soap in my shower, but they work perfectly on the stove! This allows me to keep a towel handy (saving money by not using paper towels very often!) but out of the way.
Part of the “other side” of our kitchen. This cupboard/counter top was given to us by my brother and sister-in-law. As you can see, a lot of space is currently taken up by fresh tomatoes that are ripening. They were a great gift from another brother of mine. Also, you can see that our toaster is dented. That is a story in itself. 😉
3. Hang aprons, oven mitts, pot holders, and/or cutting boards on the wall! This will save room in your cupboards and drawers and also can look cute if done well. I would like to do more of this; I think it makes a kitchen look really “homey.”
4. Find a spot for your trashcan that is as out-of-the-way as possible. This may mean inside a cupboard under your sink (if you have room!) or slid under a pull-out counter top like I have. (In the above picture, I keep my trashcan under the counter that has tomatoes on it.) You don’t want your trashcan in the way, in danger of being knocked over, or as a focal point in your kitchen.
5. Limit the number of appliances you have on your counter at one time. As you can see, we do keep our microwave and toaster out, but we use them almost every day. (We also have an espresso maker on our fridge.) Other appliances, like the blender or panini grill, we do use frequently but keep put away.
I would love to hear your space-saving ideas. I’m still learning!