I originally saw this recipe for pretzels here. I didn’t have all the right ingredients, but I figured I could still pull it off, and it was very successful! I have made soft pretzels before, but these turned out better than I’ve done in the past.
I knew it was a good choice to make these when Bogdan saw this recipe on my desk and said, “Are you making soft pretzels???” and kept asking me about it until I made them. 🙂 I didn’t have poppy seeds, so mine don’t look as thrilling as the original (which I encourage you to check out as well), but these tasted amazing, were the exact right texture, were easy to make, and made my house smell quite tantalizing!
So here’s how I did it!
Perfect Homemade Soft Pretzels
2 teaspoons dry yeast
1/2 teaspoon white sugar
3/4 cup warm water
2 cups all-purpose flour (I used just a little bit more as I was kneading the dough; it will vary)
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons canola oil
-Spices I used in the dough: a few shakes of red pepper flakes, dried parsley flakes, and granulated garlic
– For coating top: milk, poppy seeds (if you have them!), finely chopped onion (about 2 tablespoons), granulated garlic, salt (Be creative!)
1. In a small mixing bowl, place yeast, sugar, and warm water. Stir and let sit for 5-10 minutes or until frothy.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, mix together the flour, salt, and spices. Add the yeast mixture and the oil. Add more flour if needed while mixing, and knead until dough is elastic and not sticky.
3. Grease dough and place back in bowl to rise in a warm place until double.
4. Heat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
5. Punch down dough and divide into 12 pieces. I found it best to cut it in half, then cut each half into three pieces, and each of those pieces in half.
6. Roll each section into a 12-inch cord and form into pretzels. Place each pretzel on a greased baking sheet. (I had to use one and one-half baking sheets.)
7. Brush with milk and sprinkle with additional salt, poppy seeds, onion, and granulated garlic.
8. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until lightly golden.